Review Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (2009)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
ewf.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie....

As Harry Potter begins his sixth year at Hogwarts, he discovers an old book marked as "the property of the Half-Blood Prince" and begins to learn more about Lord Voldemort's dark past.

On to the next movie.....

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - PART 1....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/harry-potter-and-the-deathly-hallows-part-1-2010.965/

Back to the previous movie......

HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX.....

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/harry-potter-and-the-order-of-the-phoenix-2007.963/#post-6444

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
The narrative on this film isn't as cohesive as the others, in my own opinion. It's another visual masterpiece, and the tension in the film is so think it could be cut with...I don't know, something sharp made out of metal. I loved the addition of Jim Broadbent to the cast, and how he portrayed Slughorn. The tension between Ron and Hermione throughout the film is great, which makes me want to slap all of those Harry/Hermione shippers out there who claim that there was never an intended relationship between the two gingers (actually, I want to slap most, if not all shippers, but that's neither here nor there). Felton's performance is spot-on, as we see the inner turmoil of wanting to please his parents and wanting Voldemort to approve of him, but the struggle of knowing that that path is wrong.

And the scene in the observation tower? Loved it! Sure, in the book Dumbledore froze Harry in place, but the way it's done here is brilliant. Not the best of the films, but still a fun watch.

Elliot Thomas

Member: Rank 3
The franchise got a little darker with this instalment; here, there’s a skilful blend of gothic drama and light-hearted teen angst as the relationships develop further. It may be just marking time for the final two-hander but, on it’s own merits, it’s a terrific piece of entertainment. Pick of the cast is newbie Jim Broadbent as Horace Slughorn, new potions teacher, who held the position before and harbours valuable info about Tom Riddle; Steve Kloves (writer of the first four instalments) again does a superb job of condensing the source material.