News Guardians of the Galaxy 3 (2022)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Debicki Returns For Third “Guardians”

FdfYFs68Lk6wF5ZmnJSJYf-480-80.jpg

James Gunn has confirmed that he intends to bring Elizabeth Debicki’s Ayesha character from “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” back for a third entry in the series.

Speaking with IGN this week, Gunn says the Golden High Priestess of the Sovereign will be back for the new entry and it may tie back into one of the post-credits scenes of the second film:

“I absolutely plan on bringing Elizabeth Debicki back. She’s actually one of my favorite actors I’ve ever worked with. I think on this movie between her, Pom Klementieff who plays Mantis, and Chris Sullivan who plays Taserface, they really were three of the best actors I’ve ever worked with and were all such a joy on this film to deal with that I would love to deal with them again.”

Details are sparse on the sequel which isn’t expected until 2020, but we do know that it will help set up the next ten years of movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

SPOILERS AHEAD

That post-credits scene teases the future arrival of Adam Warlock to the Marvel cinematic universe, a character whom Marvel chief Kevin Feige has confirmed won’t be involved in “Avengers: Infinity War” despite members of the ‘Guardians’ being in that film and confirmed to be sharing scenes with Robert Downey Jr. (Tony Stark) and Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury).

Doctor Omega

avengers-holding-up-third-guardians-development-696x464.jpg

James Gunn’s “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” has now officially passed the box office gross of the original, great news which follows on from confirmation a few weeks ago that he’s returning to pen and direct the third entry. You would think he’d be getting work on it ASAP right? Turns out there’s a hold-up.

Gunn’s brother Sean Gunn, appearing at Heroes & Villains Fan Fest in London recently, tells Fanfest.com that the director has to wait for the events of “Avengers: Infinity War” to play out first before he can get started on the next ‘Guardians’:

“I know that James is being a little bit more patient this time around. Partially because some of what happens with the Guardians is dependent on what happens with them in Infinity War. And even though my brother’s a producer on Infinity War, those movies aren’t finished yet so until we kind of see where everything lands there that’s going to have some bearing on what happens with the Guardians. So it’s a little bit of a wait and see but I’m sure there are a lot of ideas already in the works.”

Sean Gunn, who plays the on-set Rocket Raccoon, says he’s been working on and off on the “Avengers” double-film production since January and they’re ‘going through the end of the year at least”. The Guardians will appear in the film which opens in May next year, but if you can’t wait that long then you can get your fix from the recent announcement trailer for “Lego Marvel Super Heroes 2 ” which comes to game consoles in November and features the Guardians front and center.

Doctor Omega

James Gunn May Change Up “Guardians” Canon

james-gunn-may-change-up-guardians-canon-696x464.jpg

Just before the opening of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” in May, filmmaker James Gunn was attached to write and direct a third entry in the series that would serve as both a conclusion of the story of the current ‘team’ and serve to set up much of the next phase of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Speaking at the World Building panel (via Cinema Blend) at E3 this week, Gunn discussed his progress and revealed one continuity change he’s considering making – one that ties back to the first film’s police line-up scene:

“I’m writing Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and I finished the first draft of the treatment yesterday, which I’m excited about it and I feel really great about it. But…

I did something in the first movie of Guardians where it was in the background but it was distinctly there, and people know that it’s there. And I’m like goddammit because I have a really good storytelling reason for breaking the canon, and I stayed up last night figuring out if I’m gonna do it or not. I still don’t know.

In the first movie there is the mugshot sequence where the characters go through and they’re going through the mugshots and having their picture taken and the Nova Corps has information about each of the characters coming up on their little machinery.

Now, those things are something that your average viewer doesn’t see at all and doesn’t read, but there’s a lot of background I put into those things about who they’ve worked with, where they’re from, what’s going on. And it’s one of those things that I’m thinking about changing.”

The scene itself boasts character details such as planets of origin, past associations and unique qualities such as Gamora being the “last survivor of the Zehoberei People”.

Doctor Omega

Gunn On “Guardians Vol. 3” Script Progress

gunn-updates-guardians-vol-3-progress-696x464.jpg

Having begun the first home video promotional rounds for his “Guardians of the Galaxy” sequel, filmmaker James Gunn has offered a brief update on how the next film in the series is progressing – the final film in what he has dubbed “this iteration of the Guardians of the Galaxy”.

Gunn tells Collider it will be “a little more than year” before filming begins and while a release date hasn’t been set, he knows “when the basic time is”. Shooting on the second film began fifteen months before release, so going by the same timetable it means they’re targeting an early 2020 opening.

The plan, for now, is to call the project “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” and there’s always potential for bringing in some of the original ‘Guardians’ comics team seen in the post-credits of the second film. Asked how the writing’s progressing, he says:

“It’s been pretty easy. The truth is, the first movie is the first act, the second movie is the second act, and the third movie is the third act so I’m tying a lot of stuff together in the third film. We get a lot of answers on a lot of different things, so doing that in an elegant way takes a little bit of grace and elegance. It’s more challenging in that respect writing the third movie than the second movie.”

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” arrives on Digital HD on August 8th ahead of a disc and rental VOD release on August 22nd.

Doctor Omega

“Guardians Vol. 3” Sets Up Decades Of Films

guardians-vol-3-sets-up-decades-of-films-696x464.jpg

Marvel’s post third-phase plans for its MCU remain decidedly vague with the only known projects so far being the third “Guardians of the Galaxy” and second “Spider-Man: Homecoming” films.

James Gunn has previously admitted that his third ‘Guardians’ isn’t just a trilogy capper, but also sets up elements of the next phase. In a new interview on Facebook Live, he adds that the film will go further than that and will set up the MCU for the next two decades along with introducing key characters live Nova:

“Yes, definitely. Nova comes up occasionally as someone we might use. One of the things I’m doing with creating ‘Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3,’ it will take place after the next two Avengers movies and it will help to set up the next 10, 20 years of Marvel movies. It’s going to really expand the cosmic universe. We’re going to be setting up new characters. It will be the last movie of this version of Guardians of the Galaxy.”

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Adam Warlock Not Arriving In Third “Guardians”?

adam-warlock-not-arriving-in-third-guardians-696x464.jpg

Following the release of the script for “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2” for free this week, filmmaker James Gunn has revealed that the upcoming third film in the series may not feature a key character it teased in one of the second film’s post-credits sequences – Adam Warlock.

Since the second film’s release, the assumption seemed to be that Adam was going to be heading to the MCU imminently as his character was seen gestating in a gilded cocoon of the Sovereign. Gunn also teased over the summer that he was reading up on the character.

Now though it looks like Gunn has changed his mind to some extent, revealing on Twitter that the character is not confirmed for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. and that it might take longer than initially thought for us to see him:

“Despite so many people thinking Adam will show up in Vol 3 that is something that we have never confirmed. Who knows how long it will take him to bake in that cocoon. That said, I love Adam. But the time must be right.”

Gunn previously revealed that it was a tough sell to get the character into the post-credits scene in and it has already been confirmed the character will not show up in the next two “Avengers” films. At the time he said:

“I awoke with a vision of the Stakar Ravagers scene in my head and couldn’t stop thinking about it for days. We almost didn’t include the Adam Warlock scene because he was definitely not in Avengers 3 or 4 and we had no plans for him in general.

I had to fight for Adam in the post-credits sequence. Because I really thought that’s where that should go. And I thought one of the main reasons to have the Sovereign in the movie was to give audiences the hint that Adam Warlock is coming. That was one of the reasons for them to exist.

I wrote that post-credits sequence in the first draft of the script. And then there were a lot of questions about whether or not we should put that in there, because people were going to expect Adam Warlock in Infinity War.

So one of the things I promised – which I do all of the time on Twitter – is letting everyone know that Adam Warlock is not going to be in Avengers 3 or Avengers 4. It’s just not going to happen. Because I didn’t want people to have false expectations of what they thought was going to happen with Adam.”

So now it looks like Adam may not be in “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” either, especially with the film now serving as the true launch title for the next ‘phase’ of Marvel films.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
Now, those things are something that your average viewer doesn’t see at all and doesn’t read, but there’s a lot of background I put into those things about who they’ve worked with, where they’re from, what’s going on. And it’s one of those things that I’m thinking about changing.”
I wouldn't have an issue with breaking continuity for something so minor, if it serves the story. In any case, the information shown on those screens was a display of what the Nova Corps knew about the characters. It's possible that they had some incorrect information to begin with.

Doctor Omega

“Guardians 3” & Other MCU Filming Dates

Filmmaker James Gunn has confirmed that he has turned in a draft of the script for “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” and filming is expected to begin on the sequel in early 2019.

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige first revealed the news whilst talking with Collider this week during promotional rounds for “Ant-Man and the Wasp” and offered an update on the filming status of all the Marvel Cinematic Universe films in the immediate future:

“James has delivered a draft and we begin official pre-production on that very, very soon. It’ll be shooting early next year. Captain Marvel finishes in about two weeks, Spider-Man starts in about two weeks, and then Guardians 3 will start early next year.”

Gunn then confirmed the news in a tweet, saying: “Every bit of my heart” along with a photo of the script’s cover page. Questions still remain as to what the film will look like in the wake of the events of “Avengers: Infinity War” with that film’s directors saying numerous times now the onscreen deaths are ‘permanent’.

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” will arrive sometime in 2020.

Doctor Omega

Marvel Appeals To Disney For Gunn Re-Hire

marvel-appeals-to-disney-for-gunn-re-hire-696x464.jpg

Walt Disney Pictures is currently in the middle of negotiations regarding the departure of James Gunn from the “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” franchise.

When offensive joke tweets from almost a decade ago resurfaced last month via a conservative blog, Disney quickly fired him on the spot. Now though they’re sorting out the mess of that decision including the likely millions to be paid to Gunn because the studio broke its contract.

On top of which they’re dealing with a minor PR disaster as fans, the media and the film’s cast have all hit back at Disney for the decision. Yesterday came word that multiple studios are lining up to hire Gunn for their projects and that Marvel Studios wants him back for another project despite Disney’s decision.

Today, Deadline reports that there’s a last-ditch, 11th-hour appeal from the folks at Marvel Studios for Disney to accept Gunn back – knowing it’s in everyone’s best interest to reach a compromise and allow the director to work on the franchise he was not just the key to crafting but was really the sole creative voice of.

Scheduling is reportedly proving a motivator as well with an early 2019 shoot window and star Chris Pratt’s busy timetable, it’s likely the film won’t be ready if someone else takes over and has to get up to speed. Then there’s the issue of whoever takes over will be seen as taking on damaged or at the very least compromised goods – not to mention being saddled with immense pressure and fan backlash.

There is reportedly no clash or strong-arming, the push to rehire Gunn is reportedly a long shot with no guarantee of success or failure at this point.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Gunn Won’t Return For Third “Guardians”

gunn-wont-return-for-third-guardians-696x464.jpg

Despite a strong push to get him back, Variety reports that Disney and Marvel are standing by their decision to not reinstate James Gunn as director of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3”.

Gunn was let go from the project nearly a month ago when dozens of Gunn’s old joke tweets about paedophilia and rape were resurfaced by alt-right agitators. The studio quickly removed Gunn from directing, saying the comments were not in line with Disney’s family-friendly image.

Since then, support for Gunn has been widespread including the ‘Guardians’ cast. Gunn and his agency reps pushed hard for a second chance, and Disney studio chairman Alan Horn decided to take a meeting with Gunn to clear the air. However Horn reportedly stood by his decision to not reinstate Gunn as director.

Disney and Marvel are shortly expected to continue the search for a new director and it is still unknown if the production schedule will be affected by the change in the director’s seat.

The report follows in the wake of far-right syndicated news outlet Breitbart earlier this week posting up old photos of Gunn attending a costume party with the theme of ‘To Catch a Predator’ in which he went as a reverend.

At the same time ‘Guardians’ actor Chris Pratt spoke with the Associated Press some more about what’s going on, telling AP Wire: “We all love James and he’s a good friend of ours, but we also really love playing the Guardians of the Galaxy. It’s a complicated situation for everybody. I love going to Comic-Con but I ended up not doing a lot of interviews around that time just because it was so shocking. All I know is we put a lot of time, thought and effort into the statement that we released about it and I think we all kind of want that statement to be essentially what we have to say about it. And we were pretty clear and honest about how we feel.”

“Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” hasn’t yet set a release date.

Doctor Omega

Marvel Delays Third “Guardians” Indefinitely

guardians-696x464.jpg

Marvel Studios has officially put pre-production on “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” on hold and while the sequel is reportedly not being cancelled, the delay for now is indefinite as both Marvel and Disney regroup according to Heat Vision.

Though not officially set, the film was believed to be on target for a May 2020 release. In the wake of James Gunn’s widely publicized dismissal though, and with no immediate replacement on hand, the project’s planned schedule is now up in the air.

Pre-production had already begun and filming was slated to begin in early 2019, but now Disney and Marvel have released crew members so they can find other work – cast members will also likely be released from filming until things are finally ready to go.

Gunn is likely to be recruited by rival studios once he finishes negotiating his exit as demand for his services is high. No replacement director has yet been set, despite Marvel recently holding a meeting with “Thor: Ragnarok” director Taika Waititi – though it’s not clear what that meeting was about.

Doctor Omega

Bautista Not Sure About “Guardians” Return

bautista-not-sure-about-guardians-return-696x464.jpg

At last report, Disney Pictures has apparently put the third “Guardians of the Galaxy” film on hold indefinitely in the wake of James Gunn’s departure. We know that the film has effectively scratched plans to shoot early next year for a likely May 2020 release (though that was never officially set).

We also suspect that whomever takes over will likely be subjected to the same sort of criticism and potentially underperforming box-office that greeted Ron Howard on Disney’s “Solo” this year. Like it or not there’s blood in the water and no matter how good it is, it will be seen as a compromised project.

In the midst of all this craziness is actor Dave Bautista who plays Drax. The former wrestler has been steadfast and vocal in his support of Gunn, denouncing Disney’s actions in regards to what happened and previously tried to use the leverage of threatening to not do the movie if Disney didn’t at least use Gunn’s script.

In an interview on “The Jonathan Ross Show” this week in the UK, Bautista now confirms the film is on hold and suggests he’s done with the franchise:

“There’s a bit of an issue. It’s a bittersweet conversation. No – it’s a bitter, bitter conversation, because I’m not really happy with what they’ve done with James Gunn. They’re putting the movie off. It’s on hold indefinitely. To be honest with you, I don’t know if I want to work for Disney… I’ve been very vocal about the way I feel. I’m not afraid to admit the way I feel.”

Separately he also spoke with HeyUGuys in a video interview to promote the UK release of action thriller “Final Score” and he was asked if he initially had any hesitations about being vocal about his opinion:

“I’m very aware that this could cost me a job I care for very much. It’s an integrity issue and loyalty issue. So, no, I’m not going to bite my tongue for anything, that’s just who I am as a person. I’ve tried to be very choosey about what I say and how I say, I don’t necessarily mean to be disrespectful but at the same time I have to say what’s on my mind and in my heart.

If it costs me a job then that’s just what happens. You can’t threaten a poor man with poverty; I grew up poor, I know what it’s like to be poor. I’m not afraid of losing money, it means nothing to me. I will wrestle in backyards in front of 10 people if I have to to make a living, so I’m not gonna be flexible with my integrity. I’m just going to speak my mind and try not to be disrespectful. This is directed at certain people, not Marvel or any of those executives who I love very much.”

At present Marvel hasn’t announced which ‘Phase 4’ project they intend to put in its place, though there has been murmurs of “Doctor Strange 2” or “Black Widow” potentially moving up. In either case, the studio’s plans for 2020 and beyond are now unclear with next July’s “Spider-Man: Far From Home” the sole post-fourth “Avengers” film officially announced.

Doctor Omega

“Ralph Breaks the Internet”, which had already screened for selected press to good reviews, will include action star Vin Diesel returning to voice his fan-favourite “Guardians of the Galaxy” role of Baby Groot. Other confirmed actors doing cameos with familiar characters include Tim Allen (Buzz Lightyear), Roger Craig Smith (Sonic the Hedgehog), Brad Garrett (Eeyore), Corey Burton (Grumpy), Anthony Daniels (C-3PO), and Michael Giacchino (FN-3181).

https://www.imdforums.com/threads/ralph-breaks-the-internet-2018.2769/

Doctor Omega

Pratt: We’re Still Doing A Third “Guardians”

pratt-talks-infinity-war-star-lord-criticism-696x464.jpg

Chris Pratt attended the premiere of “The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part” last night and on the red carpet he assured Marvel fans that they will still get a third “Guardians of the Galaxy” movie.

The project was supposed to be shooting throughout much of the first half of 2019, but the firing of the film’s writer/director James Gunn last year over distasteful years-old tweets saw the project put on hold in August with no-one else coming onboard in the half-year since to replace him.

Pratt was asked by Variety if a third film could be made without Gunn to which he said:

“I promise there’ll be a third movie, I don’t know exactly what that’s going to look like, but I know everyone on board is just eager to give the fans what they want and wrap up a trilogy in a meaningful way… We’re still circling the city of Jericho, I like to say.”

Last year the cast penned a letter to Disney asking them to rehire Gunn, but Disney stood firm on his dismissal. Disney still has a May 1st 2020 release date put aside for a Marvel film – that was going to be for a third ‘Guardians’ but for now it’s unclear what will release in that slot as there’s been talk of “Black Widow,” “Doctor Strange 2,” “Black Panther 2,” “The Eternals” and “Shang-Chi” but none have progressed to full-on production as yet.

Doctor Omega

James Gunn Returns For Third “Guardians”

multiple-studios-keen-to-hire-james-gunn-696x464.jpg

In a totally unexpected announcement, Disney Pictures and Marvel Studios have reportedly rehired James Gunn as writer/director of “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3”.

Deadline broke the news, saying they’ve confirmed it with both Marvel and Gunn’s camp. Gunn’s rehiring comes months after his firing due to offensive years-old joke tweets about pedophilia and rape in July last year.

Said tweets were picked up by alt-right journalists and turned into a public spectacle on social media, but Gunn admitted multiple times to poor judgment displayed at a time and blamed only himself and his attempts to be a provocateur back in his Troma days. He never took a defensive posture (ala Kevin Hart, Roseanne), never lashed out at Disney, and never engaged in the behaviour he lampooned.

The trade says after the firing, Walt Disney Studios president Alan Horn met with Gunn on multiple occasions to discuss the situation. Persuaded by Gunn’s public apology and his handling of the situation after, Horn decided to reverse course and reinstate Gunn.

Gunn is still on track to direct “The Suicide Squad” which kicks off filming this Fall with Marvel Studios agreeing to let him do that first before moving on to the next “Guardians”. Marvel Studios also reportedly never met with or considered any other director for the third “Guardians” despite speculation about Taika Waititi and Adam McKay.

Gunn had written a script for a third “Guardians” which Marvel confirmed will still be used. The entire cast of the film has been outspoken in its desire to have Gunn back, especially co-star Dave Bautista. In the wake of the news, Gunn has taken to Twitter to thank fans for support

“I am tremendously grateful to every person out there who has supported me over the past few months. I am always learning and will continue to work at being the best human being I can be. I deeply appreciate Disney’s decision and I am excited to continue making films that investigate the ties of love that bind us all. I have been, and continue to be incredibly humbled by your love and support. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Love you all.”

It’s unclear when “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” will arrive in cinemas but with “The Suicide Squad” filming not beginning until the Fall, it’s expected a third ‘Guardians’ won’t begin shooting until the back half of 2020 at the earliest. As they have a script ready and Gunn had already begun some pre-production work on it before his firing, filming could begin shortly after he finishes post-production on the ‘Squad’ follow-up.

Doctor Omega

Third “Guardians” Targets Feb 2021 Start?

pratt-third-guardians-to-retain-gunns-script.jpg

Before the mess over James Gunn’s firing, the plan seemed to be Disney would begin shooting “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” in early 2019 for a May 2020 release.

Gunn was then fired in July last year, throwing the production off with no new timetable set. The filmmaker eventually went over to Warner Bros. Pictures where he began setting up “The Suicide Squad” which will start shooting this September ahead of an August 6th 2021 release.

Once Gunn has wrapped production on that, but long before it hits cinemas, he’ll jump over to “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3” which he was recently re-hired to tackle.

As a result of all the mess, Production Weekly (via CBR) reports that the new ‘Guardians’ film is now targeting a February 2021 start of shooting under the title “Hot Christmas”. This would allow Gunn to conduct that film’s principal photography, then take a break and do “The Suicide Squad” press commitments before jumping into ‘Guards’ editing and post-production.

It would also suggest a potential May 2022 release date for the third and expected to be final ‘Guardians’ film featuring the current crew.