Review Give It All (1998)

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
This quiet little gem is out of print in North America so I ordered it specially from Korea. Unfortunately my (at the time) Japanese teacher "borrowed" the DVD I bought in Japan so it's been 15 years before I got to see it again.

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
Why don't you give a review? Or mini-review? What did you like about it? What makes it a "gem"? The video is just some random scenes set to piano music with no dialog or context. I'm always looking for new DVDs to order--tell me why this should be next on my list.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Capital idea. Well. Etsuke Shinomura is a mediocre student, eclipsed by a clever older sister, with no real prospects for success. She's bored and aimless until she spies a rowing team gliding in the water, and she immediately knows that's what she wants to do. She sets up a female rowing team and she and her band of not-quite-so athletic girls struggle to learn and compete, despite physical challenges that come up and an apathetic coach. At first they're finishing every race last (the "princess team" they're called) but with perseverance they get better. I won't tell you more, because I don't want to spoil it, but I did appreciate the ending.

divemaster13

Member: Rank 4
Sounds like something I would like, as long as it's compelling and not "Lifetime movie of the week." I'll add this to my next YesAsia order. I can get a HK cheapie for $8. Thanks for the recommendation.