Fun Star Trek: Voyager

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Sadly the actress playing Kes, Jennifer Lien, has not had the happiest of times since leaving the series, falling foul of the law, and is all but unrecognisable now.

Hux

Member: Rank 6
She could make a pretty decent living from the Trek convention circuit (one of the upsides to being in Trek) but apparently she's never enjoyed them and tends to stay away.

Doctor Omega

Grace Lee Whitney of the original Trek followed a similar downward spiral of course, but thankfully found her way to the convention circuit in later years.

Yes, let's hope Jennifer finds a happy way forward.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
Tuvok.

I just happen to like Vulcans - I can't imagine why.

I also like Seven of Nine for some reason. I expect it's because of her logical abilities - both of them.
You do realize that "both" her "abilities" probably have a higher IQ than that response right?! Speaking strictly as a gal whose "abilities" make me an active member of MENSA!.... and probably give me my own zip code.... along with a backbreakingly high pain threshold!

:emoji_laughing: :emoji_face_palm: :emoji_no_good: :emoji_flushed: :emoji_kiss:

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
You do realize that "both" her "abilities" probably have a higher IQ than that response right?!
The first part, the last part, or the entirety of my previous post?

Of course, I'm not sure which of her logical abilities to rate higher. Whilst her logical abilities as an individual may not have been quite so advanced or extensive as those she had access to whilst she was still part of the Borg collective, I would argue that they were her personal abilities, earned and developed through a lifetime of experience - including being a Borg drone. Of course, the developmental stage of the process could not begin until she was free from the collective and aboard Voyager.

Meanwhile, while she was still a member of the Borg collective, she had access to the hive mind, which included amongst its number species with highly developed logical abilities - including of course Vulcans. However, whilst the hive mind was undoubtedly a highly advanced and extensive mental faculty - most probably unparalleled in its mental abilities anywhere else in the galaxy, if not further - it was not her logical or mental ability. In effect, her thinking was done for her by others.

This is why I would opt for choice number one being the superior one of the two available.
Speaking strictly as a gal whose "abilities" make me an active member of MENSA!.... and probably give me my own zip code.... along with a backbreakingly high pain threshold!
If I am interpreting your message correctly, all I can say is, "Ouch."

I've seen the effect that such inappropriate or disproportionate physical attributes can have on an individual - especially someone who does not have an appropriate physical stature to support them. I think it's a cruel trick of nature that is painful to witness.

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
The first part, the last part, or the entirety of my previous post?

Of course, I'm not sure which of her logical abilities to rate higher. Whilst her logical abilities as an individual may not have been quite so advanced or extensive as those she had access to whilst she was still part of the Borg collective, I would argue that they were her personal abilities, earned and developed through a lifetime of experience - including being a Borg drone. Of course, the developmental stage of the process could not begin until she was free from the collective and aboard Voyager.

Meanwhile, while she was still a member of the Borg collective, she had access to the hive mind, which included amongst its number species with highly developed logical abilities - including of course Vulcans. However, whilst the hive mind was undoubtedly a highly advanced and extensive mental faculty - most probably unparalleled in its mental abilities anywhere else in the galaxy, if not further - it was not her logical or mental ability. In effect, her thinking was done for her by others.

This is why I would opt for choice number one being the superior one of the two available.

If I am interpreting your message correctly, all I can say is, "Ouch."

I've seen the effect that such inappropriate or disproportionate physical attributes can have on an individual - especially someone who does not have an appropriate physical stature to support them. I think it's a cruel trick of nature that is painful to witness.
Just the part about the "boob's" pal! And it was all meant to be off-color funny cause if you can't laugh at yourself and share it then what's the point?! Also, I now suspect that I responded to something that was not actually your intent to post. In which case... not funny, not appropriate and I apologize whole-heartedly for my response. I honestly thought you were referring to her "attributes" in the female anatomy, right up there... almost in your face depending on how tall you are.

And I too thought JR was a hot-bod in a catsuit brought on for that purpose. But in the end they gave her great storylines and she did a lot with them. In point of fact, I loved Voyager!

So if my kidding a bit missed the mark... sorry bout that (electronic communication can be so difficult to navigate), I genuinely was just trying to be funny not hostile as I have far too much respect for you to ever do that. I was just hoping you understood by now that I'm a bit on the weird, "dark humor" side of the tracks... but maybe I'm just plain ole trailer trash (insert laughing and smiling here please) !

ant-mac

Just the part about the "boob's" pal! And it was all meant to be off-color funny cause if you can't laugh at yourself and share it then what's the point?! Also, I now suspect that I responded to something that was not actually your intent to post. In which case... not funny, not appropriate and I apologize whole-heartedly for my response. I honestly thought you were referring to her "attributes" in the female anatomy, right up there... almost in your face depending on how tall you are.

And I too thought JR was a hot-bod in a catsuit brought on for that purpose. But in the end they gave her great storylines and she did a lot with them. In point of fact, I loved Voyager!

So if my kidding a bit missed the mark... sorry bout that (electronic communication can be so difficult to navigate), I genuinely was just trying to be funny not hostile as I have far too much respect for you to ever do that. I was just hoping you understood by now that I'm a bit on the weird, "dark humor" side of the tracks... but maybe I'm just plain ole trailer trash (insert laughing and smiling here please) !
No, not at all, Janine. I left my answer open-ended so it could be interpreted in more than one way - depending upon the individual.

I think life would be rather boring and pointless if you were forced to live on a single plane of existence, so to speak. I enjoy an in-depth conversation, but at the end of the day, I'm also a heterosexual male.

There's room enough for Einstein and for Elle. :emoji_grinning:

Doctor Omega

What did you think of this episode of Voyager?

Post your comments and reviews below.....

Last edited:

Hux

Blink of an Eye

Another timey whimey one (I like 'em). Voyager gets stuck in a planet's strange orbit and discovers that for every second that passes on Voyager, a day passes on the planet. They inevitably get written into the fabric of the culture developing beneath them and become known as the ground shaker (Voyager's presence is causing earthquakes on the planet). They watch as civilisations and nation states come and go before finally realising that the people below plan to attack them. The doctor is sent down for a few seconds to gather information but accidentally ends up spending three years down there. The episode finishes with a couple of the planet's first astronauts visiting Voyager (finding it utterly frozen in time).

This whole episode is great and explores some nice ideas. I'd also love to know what the doctor got up to on the planet for three years (we know he shacked up with a woman and had a son... somehow).

Gavin

VIP
I enjoyed it when I first watched it, but in hindsight it was disappointing how quickly the two crews became one happy Starfleet family and how pristine the ship remained without any access to major maintenance facilities. There could have been a little more conflict (other than the stuff that was written in for an episode and forgotten by the next episode. I also felt that Harry Kim was a bit hard done by, being stuck as an ensign for the entire series. Given his character development over the series I felt he could have been given a field promotion at some point. Especially since they found time to demote Tom Paris to ensign and then promote him back to lieutenant once again in a fairly short space of time.

Alex Vojacek

Administrator
Staff member
VIP
For me, one of the worst & best chapters in Voyager is Year of Hell. That was really hard to watch, specially the decomposition of the ship and the morale going down by each month but I hated that they always go to the "time reset" to explain away everything and put the Voyager back to pristine levels. I felt that the series could had been better if the spaceship actually take hits and never recover from them. They always managed to reset the dam thing back to its former glory.

ant-mac

For me, one of the worst & best chapters in Voyager is Year of Hell. That was really hard to watch, specially the decomposition of the ship and the morale going down by each month but I hated that they always go to the "time reset" to explain away everything and put the Voyager back to pristine levels. I felt that the series could had been better if the spaceship actually take hits and never recover from them. They always managed to reset the dam thing back to its former glory.
Of course, that's Starfleet engineering for you! :emoji_wink:

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I actually liked "The Year of Hell". It was the first time they'd ever shown anything like it with respect to what could happen to a ship that far from home and that cut off from Starfleet.

In the early years of mankind sailing the oceans, it wasn't uncommon for ships to go months completely cut off and being forced to cobble their ships together with whatever they could make use of. The desolation felt very real and incredibly important to me insofar as the experience itself went and it was mixed with moments of great heroism and sacrifice by everyone on board...
But maybe I'm just romanticizing it too much.

Gavin

VIP
For me, one of the worst & best chapters in Voyager is Year of Hell.
Can you imagine if they'd had the guts to do the year of hell as a full season and didn't reset everything at the end. It might have been depressing but I think it could have been awesome too.