Review Extremis / The Pyramid at the End of the World / The Lie of the Land (2017)

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
An interesting enough premise, but the execution left something to be desired. This is the sort of story that would have benefited from being a two-parter. Sad to find out I had already guessed who was in the vault, but the flashbacks were cool. After last week's episode, though, it was going to be difficult to wow me.

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
A step down from the week before.

I got the usual sense of "Oh look at me; I am such a clever plotter!" from Moffat, rather than his just getting on with telling a breezy, straightforward and entertaining tale that everyone could follow.

Overthought in it's conception.

Capaldi doing well though. Bill was not as well written either, with the old cliche of "telling the Doctor off" rearing it's head again and threatening to grate!

I hope for a better episode next week.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
The pope scene with Bill's date was hilarious.

I hate to admit this, but I had a terrible case of the munchies and kept going to the kitchen - I couldn't control myself. I need to rewatch the episode. It was pretty obvious for a long time that Missy was in the vault - the Doctor just has too much nostalgia regarding her.

I'm disappointed he's still blind, to tell the truth, although it led to some pretty funny scenes with Nardole. It was a gutsy move on Moffat's part, I'll admit.

ant-mac

Member: Rank 9
For me, it was an episode of two very distinctive halves. One was rather good, with a novel and original approach - at least for DOCTOR WHO - whilst the other was disappointingly predicable and unoriginal - at least for DOCTOR WHO. However, it was nice to see all of the regulars in fine form - even if Nardole does continue to be overshadowed by both the Doctor and Bill. Perhaps the fact that he is constantly overshadowed by the others and kept in the background is a strategy by Steven Moffat to keep us from suspecting him of having some greater importance or significance later in the series?

In any case, did anyone really believe - even for a moment - that the Doctor was seriously going to carry out the execution of Missy? And by calling Missy his friend and refusing to punish her for her crimes, does that mean he actually accepts or condones her activities? If so, what sort of a message does that send out to viewers? By the way, did this plot point remind anyone else of an earlier DOCTOR WHO serial that featured Paul McGann, or was that just me?

Meanwhile, the section of the episode that featured the Pope, the Bishop and the Vatican was quite entertaining. For me, it certainly featured one of the funniest scenes I've seen in DOCTOR WHO for many years, when the Pope emerged from the TARDIS just as Bill and her date were getting to know one another. The fact that it was all revealed to be a part of the aliens' training ground was a nice twist - although it wasn't exactly a shock. I had already picked up on a certain similarity between this episode and THE MATRIX - not to mention ANGELS AND DEMONS - well before the end. It was an interesting introduction to a multiple episode serial - and I look forward to next week's episode to see what happens next.

Doctor Omega

I was trying to figure out why the episode was pulling me in and I think it is partly to do with the improved music. Gone was the sub-Harry Potter whimsical, tension sapping music, to be replaced by some orchestral arrangements that actually complemented the events on screen.

Capaldi and Bill continue to work well together. The concept behind the monsters is unusual and clever. And even Nardole is not the annoying presence that I feared before season ten started. In fact he is quite endearing and sweet and works well with Peter and Pearl.

A good story i.m.o.

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
A great step-up from last week's episode (although, last week's had the great jab at T.Rump).
Great fake-out!
I did enjoy that. When I realized the room they were in was from that scene in the trailer, I started to freak out a little bit.
Bill's mum reminds me a little of Clara's leaf.
Interesting. I hadn't thought of it like that. But yes, I see the parallel.

Should we believe Missy?
I never do.

ant-mac

For me, I found this episode less impressive than the previous week's one. And while I liked the concept of the monks when I first learned of them, I find their onscreen realization a big disappointment. In fact, they looked rather too similar to the Sibylline Sisterhood - or some other reject - from THE FIRES OF POMPEII for my liking.

I'm not quite sure what I expected or hoped for, but this certainly wasn't it. I suppose I was really hoping for a race of Star Monks, which was one of the original concepts behind the creation of the Cybermen way back in 1966. Oh well...

In any case, the regulars were all in acceptable form, especially the Doctor and Nardole. However, for me, the standout character of this entire episode had to be Erica. She was absolutely brilliant. She was calm, intelligent, likeable - and she worked so well with the Doctor.

DOCTOR WHO seems to have a long and well-established habit of giving us a brand new companion - and then shortly afterwards, trolling us by giving us a guest character that just seems so much better and more suitable. Oh well...

ant-mac

So... The lovechild of Captain Jack Harkness and Martha Jones finally managed to defeat the meddling monks from THE FIRES OF POMPEII with... Love? Really? What an original concept - apart from the fact that Craig Owens already used it to defeat the Cybermen in CLOSING TIME. Couldn't they think of an even easier and less impressive way to beat these red herrings? And that image of Bill Pott's mother is rather reminiscent of Clara Oswald's leaf. Is Steven Moffat running out of ideas?

And is it just me, or did that idiotic twat just let someone piss away yet another one of the Doctor's incarnations? And what was the excuse this time? Was it really that the Doctor simply got a little bit too carried away? If this is so, then what a pathetic fucking joke. I mean seriously, they couldn't even be bothered to come up with a halfway decent excuse this time? Pathetic...

How are we meant to invest ourselves in the adventures of this so-called intelligent, sentient alien being, when he simply throws away an entire lifespan without a second thought - let alone a first one? And for what purpose? A cheap laugh? If he doesn't give a fuck about himself or take his life seriously, then why should we even bother?

Or did Steven Moffat just want to copy RTD's infamous regeneration scene from THE STOLEN EARTH / JOURNEY'S END? If so, then he really must be struggling to come up with fresh ideas. What a load of utterly disappointing and unbelievable crap. Pathetic...

Doctor Omega

Yeah, that's it for me.

The season was beginning to show a degree of promise. Then this.

I still think that, in acting talent, Pearl Mackie outshines everyone, even - sadly - Capaldi. (And that is truly a painful line to write.)

But hers was the only talent that I could see shining. In every other area, dialogue, plot, over-complicated concept and acting, it just all fell totally short - or we had seen it all before.

Yes, the bogus regeneration clearly existed only so we would have a photo of a regenerating Capaldi in the newspapers beforehand. Not in service of the plot. Sad and typical and - I think, the biggest indicator of just how much the programme makers have lost perspective on how to make, not just good Doctor Who, but good drama, full stop.

Good moments do not make for a good product - and what good moments and hints of promise that there have been this season are not, imo, compensation enough for what I consider the off-key DNA of this current incarnation of the show.

Gavin

Member: Rank 6
VIP
I don't know what it is but this season really isn't doing much for me. And my kids seem more confused by the three-parter than anything else.

Doctor Omega

My only recall of these three episodes revolves around Capaldi's blindness and some kind of countdown in a lab involving the alien menace.

Ermm, that's it.

Another unforgettable classic! :emoji_head_bandage: