Review Class (2016)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
0000000.jpg

Class is a British science fiction drama programme, and a spin-off of the long-running programme Doctor Who. It was created and written by Patrick Ness, who also produced alongside Doctor Who showrunner and lead writer Steven Moffat, and Brian Minchin, who acted as producer on Doctor Who and two of its previous spin-offs, Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures.

The series of eight episodes was released on BBC Three between 22 October and 3 December 2016. The story focuses on five of the students and staff at Coal Hill Academy, a longtime recurrent location of Doctor Who, who are tasked by the Doctor to deal with alien threats while trying to deal with their personal lives.

The series received generally mixed reviews from critics, with praise for its darker tone, writing, music, and acting. However, the series scored poor viewership figures for its broadcast on BBC One. In September 2017, BBC Three confirmed that the series was cancelled.

Premise

The programme is set in Coal Hill Academy, a fictional school that has been featured in Doctor Who since the 1963 serial, An Unearthly Child, and focuses on six of its students and staff members.[1]

The sixth formers of Coal Hill Academy all have their own secrets and desires.[1] They have to deal with the stresses of everyday life, including friends, parents, school work, sex, and sorrow, but also the horrors that come from time travel.[2] The Doctor and his time-travelling have made the walls of space and time stretch thin, and monsters beyond imagination are planning to break through and wreak havoc upon the Earth.[3]

Cast

Main
  • Greg Austin as Charlie Smith, an alien posing as a human student. He is the prince of the Rhodians, and the last of his species; after being rescued by the Doctor when his race is slaughtered by another species called the Shadow Kin, he changes his body to a human's and poses as an average 17-year-old student from Sheffield.[4]
  • Fady Elsayed as Ram Singh, a tough, antisocial student and gifted football player. After losing his right leg in the first episode, he is given a prosthetic one by the Doctor.[4]
  • Sophie Hopkins as April MacLean, an ordinary, unremarkable student whose life is forever changed when she encounters the king of the Shadow Kin, Corakinus.[4]
  • Vivian Oparah as Tanya Adeola, a child prodigy of Nigerian origin who moved up three years at Coal Hill School due to her "outstanding examination results" and "truly extraordinary academic capability".[4]
  • Katherine Kelly as Miss Andrea Quill, real name Andra'ath, the physics teacher at Coal Hill Academy. Like Charlie, she is secretly an alien and the last of her species, the Quill, long-time war enemies of the Rhodians. While posing as a Coal Hill Academy teacher, she caused the death of a student; as a punishment, the Doctor put her in charge of the main characters' group.
Notable guest

Reception

Review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes gave the series an 88% rating based on 16 reviews, with an average rating of 6.9/10.[48] Overall reception for the series have been mostly positive. The show's darker tone, writing, music, and acting were praised, as was the overall evolution of the characters during the series.

The Guardian gave the show a positive reception, with Phil Harrison writing: "Ever since the sad demise of Torchwood, Doctor Who fans have been looking for something to fill those fallow months when the Tardis is away in another part of the galaxy and Who is missing from our screens. Now they might finally have it."[49]

Digital Spy was hesitant in its review, praising the cast for their performances but felt the script and pacing needed to take a breath and explore ideas in more depth, with Morgan Jeffery writing "A fast pace is all well and good – in fact, it's essential to hold on to a younger audience – but at times, 'For Tonight, We Might Die' is racing so much that it trips itself up". Summarising the programme so far: "Class is a bit like a hormonal teen – all over the place, with quite literal moodswings. But also like a teen, it's finding itself."[50]

Den of Geek recommended the programme and critic Louisa Mellor summed it up as: "Witty, energetic Doctor Who spin-off Class wears its influences well and gets a great deal right for its target audience."[51]

WalesOnline gave the programme's first couple of episodes a rating of five stars out of five, with writer David Prince summarizing the show as: "It's a bit like a British Buffy and Cardiff looks amazing – but it's not for kids".[52]

Brisbane Times television critic Melinda Houston gave the show a rating of three and a half stars out of four.[53] In a review for Flickering Myth, Alex Moreland rated the first episode of Class with a grade of 9 out of 10 — "Ultimately, Class debuts with a particularly strong first episode; it introduces us to a compelling cast of characters and an establishes an engaging overarching plot. Most importantly of all, though, it makes it obvious that this is a programme that can and will stand on its own – and maybe even surpass Doctor Who, one day."[54]

The Daily Dot writer Gavia Baker-Whitelaw gave the first few episodes a negative review stating "Unless you’re completely new to supernatural teen dramas, Class will seem hopelessly formulaic. In the first two episodes, it offers nothing we haven't already seen in Buffy, Teen Wolf, or Smallville. The comparisons to Buffy are especially unflattering because Class displays none of its subversiveness or wit, and Buffy was already playing with old tropes when it premiered almost 20 years ago." She goes on to say that despite the show's high-profile link to Doctor Who, "It's just too bad it doesn't live up to the hype, failing to move beyond a watered-down Joss Whedon structure or exhibit fresh insight into young adult life. With so many brilliant teen dramas already available elsewhere, it’s hard to see what Class has to offer unless it drastically improves in later episodes."

Last edited:

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
I finally watched the first episode last night on BBC America. I'm reserving judgement on whether it's love or hate, but so far, it's not terrible. It's basically stock teen characters in a stock teen drama, with the exception that one of them is an alien prince, with his protector/slave posing as a teacher. And it's set in the Doctor Who continuity. Pretty good effects, acting wasn't entirely dismal, but it's not something I would categorize as groundbreaking. I could see a show like this doing well on CW here in the states. I hope it gets better, or at the very least, more engaging. But I am giving it a chance.

Doctor Omega

announcement-sign-character-means-corporate-communication-or-con-100259696.jpg

BBC3 confirms Doctor Who spin-off Class has been axed after one series

“The show didn’t really land for us” admits BBC3 controller Damian Kavanagh

Class-1.jpg

The BBC has officially confirmed that its Doctor Who spin off Class will not be returning for another series.

The drama, written by Young Adult author Patrick Ness, attracted lukewarm reviews when it was shown on BBC3 and in a late night slot on BBC1. Ness has already said he wasn’t writing any more episodes.

However the show had not formally been decommissioned – until today that is, when hopes that the series could continue were finally dashed by BBC3 controller Damian Kavanagh.

Asked by RadioTimes.com whether it would be coming back, Kavanagh said, “No, no.”

“There was nothing wrong with it,” he added. “I thought Patrick did a great job, he explored an amazing world. In honesty it didn’t really land for us on BBC3; some shows don’t and I have to make decisions about what we’re going to do from a drama point of view, and what we did after Class was Clique which worked really well for us.”

The drama centred around Coal Hill School, the modern-day incarnation of the educational establishment which featured in the first episode of Doctor Who, and which has been a location in a number of subsequent stories.

Peter Capaldi’s Doctor appeared in episode one of the show to explain to the classmates their important role in protecting Earth due to a tear in the universe located at the school.

The main characters included Ram, April (Sophie Hopkins), Tanya (Vivian Oparah) Charlie (Greg Austin) and alien teacher Miss Quill (Katherine Kelly).

Doctor Omega

Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffat on 'Class' Doctor Who spinoff

Doctor Who executive producer Steven Moffat and star Peter Capaldi talk about the announced teen spin-off, titled 'Class'. 'Class' will be the first Doctor Who spin-off since 'The Sarah Jane Adventures' and 'Torchwood' ended in 2011 and will be written by 'Chaos Walking' author Patrick Ness.

Doctor Omega

Working With Peter Capaldi | Class | BBC America

What's it like for the cast of Class to work with Peter Capaldi? "He's a genius. He's a madman and I love him to bits." Watch the cast of Class get starstruck over Peter Capaldi. These four Coal Hill School students have hidden secrets and desires. They are facing their own worst fears, navigating a life of friends, parents, school work, sex, sorrow – and possibly the end of existence. Coal Hill School has been a part of the Doctor Who universe since the very beginning, but that has come at a price. All the time travelling over the years has caused the very walls of space and time to become thin. There’s something pressing in on the other side, something waiting for its chance to kill everyone and everything, to bring us all into Shadow.

The Seeker

Member: Rank 6
Maybe I should have given this a chance, but I didn’t watch it because a fellow fan on a message board (a kind of spastic one, though, I have to admit) went on and on about how terrible it was and how much he hated it. Maybe I shouldn’t have let him influence me so much. What a shame they snubbed Ian Chesterton.

Doctor Omega

I have yet to watch it myself. Have a feeling it might be a case of seeing it in a charity shop one day. I always felt that the premise was ridiculous from the moment I heard of it.

If a school receives even just one Alien invasion, with the threat of more, surely it makes sense for UNIT or whoever to immediately shut the school down and cordon off the area. Not keep the school open and try to teach maths, while ignoring this week's platoon of Judoon or Krotons stomping down the hallway. :emoji_head_bandage:

Last edited: