News Cirque du Soleil

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
14864404-large.jpg

Cirque du Soleil (pronounced: [sɪʁk dzy sɔ.lɛj], "Circus of the Sun" or "Sun Circus") is a Canadian entertainment company.

It is the largest theatrical producer in the world.

Based in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, and located in the inner-city area of Saint-Michel, it was founded in Baie-Saint-Paul in 1984 by two former street performers, Guy Laliberté and Gilles Ste-Croix.

Initially named Les Échassiers ([lez‿e.ʃa.sje], "The Waders"), they toured Quebec in 1980 as a performing troupe.

Their initial financial hardship was relieved in 1983 by a government grant from the Canada Council for the Arts, as part of the 450th anniversary celebrations of Jacques Cartier's voyage to Canada.

Le Grand Tour du Cirque du Soleil
was a success in 1984, and after securing a second year of funding, Laliberté hired Guy Caron from the National Circus School to re-create it as a "proper circus".

Its theatrical, character-driven approach and the absence of performing animals helped define Cirque du Soleil as the contemporary circus ("nouveau cirque") that it remains today.

Each show is a synthesis of circus styles from around the world, with its own central theme and storyline.

Shows employ continuous live music, with performers rather than stagehands changing the props.

After financial successes and failures in the late 1980s, Nouvelle Expérience was created – with the direction of Franco Dragone – which not only made Cirque du Soleil profitable by 1990, but allowed it to create new shows.

Cirque du Soleil expanded rapidly through the 1990s and 2000s, going from one show to 19 shows in over 271 cities on every continent except Antarctica.

The shows employ approximately 4,000 people from over 40 countries and generate an estimated annual revenue exceeding US$810 million.

The multiple permanent Las Vegas shows alone play to more than 9,000 people a night, 5% of the city's visitors, adding to the 90 million people who have experienced Cirque du Soleil's shows worldwide.

In 2000, Laliberté bought out Gauthier, and with 95% ownership, has continued to expand the brand.

In 2008, Laliberté split 20% of his share equally between two investment groups Istithmar World and Nakheel of Dubai, in order to further finance the company's goals.

In partnership with these two groups, Cirque du Soleil had planned to build a residency show in the United Arab Emirates in 2012 directed by Guy Caron (Dralion) and Michael Curry.

But since Dubai's financial problems in 2010 caused by the 2008 recession, it was stated by Laliberté that the project has been "put on ice" for the time being and may be looking for another financial partner to bankroll the company's future plans, even willing to give up another 10% of his share.

Several more shows are in development around the world, along with a television deal, women's clothing line and the possible venture into other mediums such as spas, restaurants and nightclubs.

Cirque du Soleil also produces a small number of private and corporate events each year (past clients have been the royal family of Dubai and the 2007 Super Bowl).

lanoubabuilding.jpg

Origins

At age 18, interested in pursuing some kind of performing career, Guy Laliberté quit college and left home. He toured Europe as a folk musician and busker.

By the time he returned home to Canada in 1979, he had learned the art of fire breathing.

Although he became "employed" at a hydroelectric power plant in James Bay, his job ended after only three days due to a labour strike.

He decided not to look for another job, instead supporting himself on his unemployment insurance.

He helped organize a summer fair in Baie-Saint-Paul with the help of a pair of friends named Daniel Gauthier and Gilles Ste-Croix.

Gauthier and Ste-Croix were managing a youth hostel for performing artists named Le Balcon Vert at that time.

By the summer of 1979, Ste-Croix had been developing the idea of turning the Balcon Vert and the talented performers who lived there into an organized performing troupe.

As part of a publicity stunt to convince the Quebec government to help fund his production, Ste-Croix walked the 56 miles (90 km) from Baie-Saint-Paul to Quebec City on stilts.

The ploy worked, giving the three men the money to create Les Échassiers de Baie-Saint-Paul.

Employing many of the people who would later make up Cirque du Soleil, Les Échassiers toured Quebec during the summer of 1980.

Although well received by audiences and critics alike, Les Échassiers was a financial failure.

Laliberté spent that winter in Hawaii plying his trade while Ste-Croix stayed in Quebec to set up a nonprofit holding company named "The High-Heeled Club" to mitigate the losses of the previous summer.

In 1981, they met with better results. By that fall, Les Échassiers de Baie-Saint-Paul had broken even.

The success inspired Laliberté and Ste-Croix to organize a summer fair in their hometown of Baie-Saint-Paul.

This touring festival, called "La Fête Foraine", first took place in July 1982. La Fête Foraine featured workshops to teach the circus arts to the public, after which those who participated could take part in a performance.

Ironically, the festival was barred from its own hosting town after complaints from local citizens.

Laliberté managed and produced the fair over the next couple of years, nurturing it into a moderate financial success.

But it was in 1983 that the government of Quebec gave him a $1.5 million grant to host a production the following year as part of Quebec's 450th anniversary celebration of the French explorer Jacques Cartier's discovery of Canada. Laliberté named his creation "Le Grand Tour du Cirque du Soleil".

Shows

chapiteau-spiralE-cirque-du-soleil-VSO.jpg

The duration of each touring show was traditionally split into two acts of an hour each separated by a 30-minute interval; however, as of 2014, due to cost cutting issues, the shows have now been reduced to a shorter 55-minute first act followed by a 50-minute second act, still including a 30-minute interval.

Permanent shows are usually 90 minutes in length without any intermission.

This excludes Joyà (the permanent show in Riviera Maya, Mexico), which is only 70 minutes in length.

Typically touring shows as well as resident shows perform a standard 10 shows a week.

Touring shows usually have one 'dark day' (with no performances) while resident shows have two.

Cirque du Soleil shows normally tour under a grand chapiteau (i.e. big top) for an extended period of time until they are modified, if necessary, for touring in arenas and other venues. The infrastructure that tours with each show could easily be called a mobile village; it includes the Grand Chapiteau, a large entrance tent, artistic tent, kitchen, school, and other items necessary to support the cast and crew.

The company's tours have significant financial impacts on the cities they visit by renting lots for shows, parking spaces, selling and buying promotions, and contributing to the local economy with hotel stays, purchasing food, and hiring local help. For example, during its stay in Santa Monica, California, Koozå brought an estimated US$16,700,000 (equivalent to $18,642,764 in 2016) to the city government and local businesses.[

Discuss the Cirque du Soleil travelling show here......

Last edited:

duzit

Member: Rank 6
@Doctor Omega

DOC if I could reach out & kiss you thru this Internet you would receive the biggest most loving kiss ever. That picture of the gold & blue tent is THE ONE that came to my city. I was so fortunate to have been treated to this extraordinaire experience as a birthday gift. This is an entertainment event that should be on everyone's bucket list. There is nothing else to equal the uniqueness of this visual adventure.

I first got interested in Cirque when PBS started broadcasting the shows. I don't remember exactly
how many, but about once a year a new Cirque was aired. PBS would air their BEST programs during
their money raising pledge drives. They would repeat the show a few times during the drives and I watched every repeat.

My birthday gift was a surprise, wasn't told where I was going, just to dress comfortably and bring a sweater. To my greatest surprise the tent from above was set up on the west bank of the local river.
It was just huge, with comfortable tiered seats, A/C, indoor clean restrooms, stack bars, 2 stories high.
It was beyond belief.

What to say about the show itself? It is nothing like anything I'm ever likely to see again. I sat mesmerized by amazing feats of strength, artistry, beauty, costumes that dazzle the eyes. I could keep using every adjective in the English language and I will never be able to express the awe & wonder that is Cirque.

If the chance presents itself to see this delight, don't miss it, you will be sorry if you do.

~ If anyone has seen a Cirque, I would love to discuss it ~

duzit

Member: Rank 6
@Doctor Omega

I found the souvenir program and the ticket stubs.. The theme of the show was "QUIDAM"

It was on October 13, 2002 a Sunday, 5:00 pm. Tickets were $45.00.

I'm not a saver, but I must have thought the program needed to be saved.
I'm so glad I did save it, looking thru it brings back the awesome experience.

Imagine what the price of a ticket is today...

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Cirque du Soleil performer dies after fall during show

A veteran aerialist fell during a performance in Tampa; he did not survive the fall.