Review Charlie Brown Specials.

MIKEPR

Member: Rank 1
Here's one that hasn't aired on TV in years.

Actually The Disney Ch. was airing this often in the 90's but I don't think it's been aired on prime time TV in years.

It's 50 years old this year.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
So here's my Charlie Brown question: these cartoons - just not shown in the UK or did I never have the right channel on as a kid?
It's clearly a Thing, and though I had lots of Peanuts comics, books, gifts and Stuff, just never cartoons on TV.

I have absolute love of and trust in all things Buffy - but the concept of Charlie Brown Christmas Specials leaves me clueless.
Anyone else have this bewilderment?
Or a cure?

chainsaw_metal1

Member: Rank 8
@Carol Peanuts is quintessentially Americana, all small town goodness and downtrodden hero. If you have read and dug the comic strips, then you'll love the animated specials. A Charlie Brown Christmas is heavily flawed, from animation quality to child voice actors, and most of my love may come from nostalgia, but I watch it every year, and it never fails to bring me to tears (yes, I'm a big baby, don't judge me). While the religious aspect of it doesn't play as much to my emotions, it's the message of not losing that Christmas spirit in the face of ever growing consumerism.

Which kills me, because the message of the special gets lost when you go into any store during the season find numerous goods marketed on that nostalgia. Irony at its finest.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
If you have read and dug the comic strips,
Yes, of course - possibly from so young an age that, although I loved all the characters, I though some were a bit weird - because I hadn't figured out they weren't weird at all, just American! (Imagine how confusing I though Little Women was the first time round. Without the accent, it's a bit hard to work out when you're a talented but fairly clueless youngster).
I still have the Snoopy and Woodstock mirror my old youth club friends gave me as an 18th present - but I still haven't ever seen the Christmas Specials on British TV.

@The Seeker - I shall cherish the pass - but do try to see The Snowman. Cancel all work or social engagements for the rest of the day, because... well, let me know what you think...