Review Cabaret Voltaire

michaellevenson

Member: Rank 8
An amazing band that started in the late 70's from Sheffield in northern England.
Their early stuff was deeply impenetrable , anarchistic wall of sound , debateable whether it was even music. Into the late 80's and 90's they moved to more accessible but heavy , very heavy dance or synth stuff. Richard H Kirk the driving force later went solo and released so many albums, mostly as downloads that I've lost count . Here is a later Cab Vol track with their trademark incredible video.

michaellevenson

So now, going a little earlier in time we have a track called "Kino" , Japanese for sex, it's almost hard work watching this video, a collage of nightlife clips and a dark driving soundtrack.

Carol

Member: Rank 5
@michaellevenson
Looks weird and wondeful, thanks. I think I'll brace myself for a proper viewing of all these at a later date - but this is a bizarre synchronicity- I was just pointing a dissertation student at the original Dadaist Cabaret Voltaire about an hour ago! She seemed to think that performance art only happened in the 70s. Now I can update my info and tell her they had their own tribute act in Sheffield by then. Confused? She will be.

michaellevenson

Away from the more accessible stuff this is not easy to sit through. The visuals are a barrage of images, you get a glimpse of some unpleasant images in this track " Diffusion"

michaellevenson

Okay , maybe I should apologize for this , the ULTIMATE CHALLENGE, a twenty minute dirge called Eastern Mantra, a pseudo Buddhist chant with Cab Vol early guitar thrash over it. It's a challenge to listen to this, after about five minutes you lose the will to carry on, it washes over you putting you in a trance of depression.
I've done the whole twenty minutes a few times, it's actually unbelievable how popular among fans this is, I love it! If you love a challenge, then this is it!!

michaellevenson

Cab Vol and later on Kirk's solo stuff, there were plenty of sampling of American bible preachers speeches with the band's unique sound overlaying the preacher's words. A weird concept but Cabaret Voltaire is an unusual band.
This is an early track and is well appreciated by fans.

michaellevenson

70 billion people part2 Soulenoid
This may be based on a Harlan Ellison novel. It seems likely.
Okay done a bit of research, and it's based on a Harlan Ellison script from The Outer Limits- Demon with a Glass Hand starring Robert Culp. Must get it!

Last edited: