Review Books That You Are reading In 2017...

Discussion in 'Books' started by ant-mac, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Janine The Barefoot

Janine The Barefoot Wacky Norwegian Woman

Who would be touching "whom" AM :emoji_hugging: and of course he would have his own ideas regarding women in any form (or should I say "position"). But I never doubted the dancing bunnies would be a hit.... how can anyone not love them??

:emoji_kiss: :emoji_dancer:

2. ant-mac

ant-mac Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, I know it's supposed to be "whom", but I'll stick with "who" anyway. Rules regarding the English language are constantly changing and evolving. This is true not just since the middle-ages, but since the middle of last century and even the middle of last year. It is the everyday usage of the language by the general population that sets and often resets those rules. And in our world of modern technology and instantaneous global communication, those rules of usage are changing and evolving faster than ever before.

English is the largest, most complex language in existence, with the greatest diversity and the most variations in accents and dialects from the different countries and regions where it is spoken, in terms of phonetics and phonology. This also applies to the vocabulary, grammar and spelling that is in use in all those countries and regions - and yet English-speakers from around the planet are still able to communicate with each other fairly well.

So, who will be touching who, Janine?

And I've never noticed 007 showing a personal preference for any particular position in any of the novels or short stories by IF. Of course, you must remember that IF was constrained to a certain degree in his writing by the morals and standards of the mid 1950s through to the mid 1960s.

And as to dancing bunnies... I'm fairly sure that there are people of different age groups, cultural backgrounds and religions who probably wouldn't approve of them. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Hugh Heffner probably loves them... :emoji_wink:

3. Elessar

Elessar New Member

I finished Disclosure and am waiting for the shipping of Five patients.
    Overall, Disclosure is a good read and I enjoy the thrill of the race, or the thoughts about genders and power.

4. ant-mac

ant-mac Moderator
    Staff Member

I hope you enjoy FIVE PATIENTS. If you don't, I get the feeling that I'm going to feel awfully guilty for some reason.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Janine The Barefoot

Janine The Barefoot Wacky Norwegian Woman

No doubt about that AM. As a woman, I should probably disapprove just because it's kind of sexist. But I like to think of them as our own "Rocketts", from Radio City Music Hall and like them for the sheer fun of it all. But that's also just me doing my own reinventing of sorts and I'm aware of that too. And the "whom" thing is probably the result of correcting so many English papers... I also have issues with the misuse of their, they're and there.... what can I say? I had a Uni. Prof. that "counted" those as "incorrect" on the papers she collected and her TA stopped reading and gave us a "C" at 3 mistakes. Thesis papers counted a lot towards our grades and I held onto an almost perfect GPA until graduation. That kind of programming stays with you after you've done it for enough years.... It's kind of like "a lot" being two words and not one. I still have a really hard time starting sentences with the word And.... so yeah, I've got issues too!

6. ant-mac

ant-mac Moderator
    Staff Member

Why should you disapprove of them just because of your gender? If you like something, then you like it. It's called personal opinion or taste and we're all entitled to have it. If someone else disagrees, then that's their personal opinion or taste to which they're entitled. Just so long as they don't try to ruin our fun.

"Their", "there" and "they're" are easy to understand, as is "it's" and "its". I dislike using "and" or "but" at the beginning of a sentence - I favour "however". "A lot" are two words and so are the words "all right". The only place where I still use "whom" is in the phrase "to whom it may concern". I hate text speak and type out all words in full - complete with punctuation - on text messages. And as strange as it may seem, I actually think that the American spelling of certain words is more logical and sensible than the original British versions.

When I was younger, I preferred the concept of a static language that was constant and unchanging. However, while it pleased certain obsessive compulsive aspects of my personality, it is simply untrue. Language is constantly changing and evolving and it has taken a certain amount of effort on my part to unbend, unwind. and accept that. Of course, I've always harboured a certain bias against certain words, punctuation marks with regard to language and I'm not about to give those up!

I'll meet you on the front step of the clinic and we can undergo our treatment for being eccentric individuals together. :emoji_wink: