Fun Your Favourite TV Series Finale of All Time?

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
The film AVATAR (2009) has been celebrated for its ground-breaking special effects, but it left me feeling empty and indifferent.
I'm right there with you on that one AM and I should also slap myself upside the head for realizing that I've been watching Red Dwarf for about a hundred years and never once been bothered by the FX. Which pretty much makes me a snob, like it or not. Given that I've also admitted that character development is one of my most important requirements for real enjoyment, I think at this point I better just put up and shut up!
:emoji_information_desk_person: :emoji_no_good: :emoji_kiss:

Carol

Member: Rank 5
I liked Being Human and if I'm thinking of the right series, they just STOPPED and hung us out to dry!!!
That's not how I remember it (oh dear, I might have to get my series 5 DVD out later and force myself to check - thanks for the good excuse!)
There was an American version I've never had a chance to see, so maybe that's what THEY did?
The very clever thing the original BBC series did was broadcast the final episode with one ending - then add a bonus one online (and on DVD) only - to make people think even harder.
SPOILER ALERT:

At the end of the episode TX they still hadn't twigged to the Devil's last trick, but the audience were maybe just one beat ahead. In the extra scene, we saw them work it out and go back to work...

duzit

Member: Rank 6
@Carol,
Your SPOILER ALERT: did not work. There's a blank block of space after the words: SPOILER ALERT
give it another try...

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
I give up on a lot of shows before they come to an end and the shows I do like get canceled. Unfortunately I watched Lost to the end. Wow, talk about a disappointing last season.
Buffy was not the best, but satisfying.
Being Human(uk), I gave up on after season 3(3 of the 4 leaving was too much for me). I still watch the first 3 seasons from time to time.
I enjoyed the finale of Misfits.

Carol

Sympathy with your dedication to Lost - I got out of series 1 the week after there was a POLAR BEAR on a desert island, and a week later, no-one had anything to say about it. Grrr! (that's me not the bear). Only David Lynch gets away with stuff like that, because he's David Lynch, dammit!

I loved the way Toby Whitehouse dealt with the cast changes in Being Human, making transcience and survival even more of the story. Some of the new comedy cameos in the last 2 series are worth it for bonkers value alone.

TheSowIsMine

What an excellent day for an exorcism
VIP
The first 3 seasons of Lost were very good, but during season 4 they started to make more and more continuity mistakes and they brought in so many characters just for the slaughter. They seemed to have lost their focus.

duzit

Oh, sweetie, what did I do wrong?
A blank block of space is what I intended - so concerned readers could simply look away... what would you prefer and how should I do it next time?
Well, I guess you're OK. I'm the idiot that did not catch the SPOILER ALERT trick. There is a way to use "bb Codes" to hide spoiler text. Like this:click on the word spoiler to see the hidden text, click again to hide it.
this is a sample of hiding spoiler text
It's very easy to do & there are how to instructions on the "help" page that is located at the top of the Home page. Click on the 3 horizontal lines that are between Members and Quick Navigation. Wow, I didn't mean to turn this into a coding class, but there are some really neat things that can be done with simple "bb Codes". Love Ya, TTYL

Carol

Still, I got further with Lost than Heroes - and almost nowhere at all with Flashforward - but I gather that last one fizzled out quite soon anyway. There seemed to be a wave of shows trying to run forever on the wholesale principle of bulk casting, quick turnover and it just didn't work for me.

And thanks for the Spoiler Alert info, Duzit darling. Will try it next time!

duzit

@TheSowIsMine
"They seemed to have lost their focus."
Exactly, I think what happened was that they - the powers that be - did not expect the following that the show got. They were not prepared for the big popularity, had no real plan laid out for future seasons.
Therefore, all the silly,stupid unbelievable episodes. I think the same thing happened to "Heroes" ,
another good show that went crazy. Just my thoughts...

Carol

Flashforward: I didn't hang around long enough to find out if anyone was good in it - they were sold out by the writers as far as I could see - they couldn't tell the difference between "suspenseful" and "confused waffling"

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
That's not how I remember it (oh dear, I might have to get my series 5 DVD out later and force myself to check - thanks for the good excuse!)
If it had 5 seasons it was the US version. One which I thought paled in comparison to what the UK did, which only really got 4 seasons but pretty much killed off most the cast at the end of 3. Aiden Turner was one of the stars (which by the way is the reason the vampire in the US was named Aiden) and the UK end was that the pregnant werewolf had her baby, it was experimented on and killed along with the Mother. Dad died trying to save them, the vampire pretty much killed himself and the ghost tried to move on to another house with a different set of "monsters". Seasons 1-3 are brilliant but stop after that!

:emoji_hugging: :emoji_cry: :emoji_information_desk_person:

Oh and as for the US version.... hated it at the beginning (always hate it when we in the US destroy wonderful UK shows thus proving our utter cluelessness), watched some of it later on while pining for the UK's next season or after it ended.... and don't remember much of it. Which probably means it was kinda a "meh" for me. But maybe it's aged well and deserves a second look. Damnit Carol! Your bloody optimism always seems to kill my "happy cynicism"!!!!!

:emoji_dancers: gotta love dancing bunnies! :emoji_kiss: :emoji_grin:

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
just for her clothes
Which I have been relentlessly searching for on eBay for quite some time now but with no joy in sight! The designer bought period fabrics and had to cut them to the body as darts hadn't been invented back then. The hats were all her designs and she sent them to a milliner to have them made to order. Phryne's first purse was designed around her gun!!!!! God but I love that little tidbit! And she wore pants more often than not because she did all her own stunt work. She drove the cars, flew the planes, did the dancing (much of which was difficult to master on every single count) and I also believe there was one time she rode a "motorbike". I know she was on one behind Jack and shooting over his shoulder but I also believe she hopped on one herself in pursuit of a suspect.

Yeah.... I'm a bit freakish about being a "fan". :emoji_blush: :emoji_dancer: :emoji_kiss:

Carol

the UK end was that the pregnant werewolf had her baby, it was experimented on and killed along with the Mother.
Thanks for your post, Janine, but I have really good news for you! You might find BBC series 5 more to your taste (the final, British series you don't seem to know about): featuring amongst other delights the Barry Grand Hotel, Lady Mary, the Devil Incontinent and Putting on the Ritz...

Plus I've never yet had a chance to see any of the US version

But I'm 100% with you about the Bunnies!

Janine The Barefoot

Wacky Norwegian Woman
I believe the NA version of Being Human was Canadian.
Thanks for the "head's up" TSiM (and that's as much of a mouthful of a name as I can manage... of course, who am I to talk?!) I'm usually a fan of CS programming but I have to admit that I struggled with this one and Lost Girl, which I wanted to go crazy for ceased to matter in S2 for me.

sleepyjack

Member: Rank 1
Thinking about my favourite finales i'd say these shows, I wanted to put Breaking Bad in there because I love the show but I felt the finale while good just didn't fully hit the mark for me.

The Sopranos
Rectify
Mad Men
The Wire

and the worst season finale ever made imo goes to
Dexter

Last edited: