Review Battle For the Planet of the Apes (1973)

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
0.jpg

Your thoughts on this movie.....

Ten years after a worldwide series of ape revolutions and a brutal nuclear war among humans, Caesar must protect survivors of both species from an insidious human cult and a militant ape faction alike.

Last edited:

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
Writer Paul Dehn's original script was a lot darker apparently and the Caesar character continued with his tough stance against humanity, with Caesar being killed at the end. The studio wasn't happy and brought in new writers to make the script more family friendly, hence the rather limp finale for the series. Then there was the Saturday morning live action tv show and then the cartoon. I think a similar thing happened to Robocop. Hard hitting movies get softer and then it's kid's stuff.

However, despite having said all that, I still love all the original Apes run. Yes, even the cartoon. :emoji_alien:

johnnybear

Member: Rank 6
Fantastic!!! I'd heard of these scenes for years but never seen them! What a disgrace that they weren't included on the Apes DVD boxset! They show the eternal continuum of time being repeated in both Beneath and Battle! Love it! Even looks similar to the Beneath set and prop!
JB