Review Barry Manilow

Were you surprised?

• Yes, I almost fell of my chair!

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Yes, i actually did fall off my chair!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, I screamed and built a chair then fell off it!

• Yes, my trousers exploded and I fell off my chair (which also exploded).

• No.

Votes: 5 83.3%

• Total voters

Doctor Omega

Member: Rank 10
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-39506692

Singer Barry Manilow has spoken for the first time about being gay, revealing he kept his sexuality secret for years out of fear of disappointing his fans.

The 73-year-old, who married his long-term partner Garry Kief in 2014, said he "never did anything" to address speculation about his private life.

When news of the wedding broke, though, he found the reaction heartening.

"When they found out Garry and I were together, they were so happy," he told People magazine.

"The reaction was so beautiful - strangers commenting, 'Great for you!' I'm just so grateful for it."

Manilow and Kief, who is also his business manager, have been together for almost 40 years since their first meeting in 1978.

"I knew that this was it," the singer is quoted as saying. "I was one of the lucky ones. I was pretty lonely before that."

I think that it's sad that he was controlled by "fear" regarding his "fans" for so long, but heartening that that fear is gone for him now.

Amyghost

Member: Rank 3

Shocking News!!! Guardian

So were you surprised?
I'm sure that there must have been all of three people who were really stunned to hear this...but on the serious side, I agree with Dr. Omega, that it's sad to think he felt he had to keep it secret for so long out of fear of how his fans would react, and good to know he must realize he no longer has to live with that fear.

duzit

Member: Rank 6
So glad he can finally be himself and be happy at 73. I love his songs, saw him in person about 15 years ago and he was awesome, gave his all and then some. Did not want the evening under the stars to end.

Happiness to him...:emoji_purple_heart:

Elliot Thomas

Member: Rank 3

Shocking News!!! Guardian

So were you surprised?
I always just assumed he was gay. Don't really see the point of coming out like that when your in your mid 70s. Or, I maybe just don't see the point! He hasn't been relevant in decades. Sad that it took him so long to do.